- The average Food Footprint of a Mediterranean resident is approximately 0.9 gha per person—with a range from 0.6 gha—thus higher than that of such countries as India (0.4 gha), China (0.5 gha), Costa Rica (0.6 gha) and Germany (0.8 gha).
- In analysis of 12 Mediterranean cities, Cairo has the highest total Ecological Footprint, followed by Barcelona and Rome.
- The Mediterranean cities with the highest Ecological Footprint per person are Genoa, Athens and Rome.
- The Mediterranean cities with the lowest Ecological Footprint per person are Antalya, Cairo and Izmur.
- The demand for renewable resources in Athens exceeds the entire nation of Greece’s supply of resources by 22 percent, although the city’s population comprises about a third of the nation’s population.
Author: Global Footprint Network
Read the full report here.